Monday, July 24, 2017

Read-Along: Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey, Part 1

Welcome to the first week of the read-along of Jacqueline Carey’s Naamah’s Blessing!  This is the final book of the 9-book series, and also the book that brings Moirin’s story to a close.  It will be sad to say goodbye to this world, but I’ve had a lot of fun reading the series. This weeks questions are provided by Susan of Dab of Darkness, and they cover chapters 1-15. Beware of spoilers below!

1) Wow! We're back at Marsilikos and then into Terre D'Ange right away without any lengthy travel scenes. How was this change of pace for you after the lengthy travel journal we've had so far in this series?

I’m pretty fine with it.  I was impatient to get back to Terre d’Ange, so I was happy that we started there already!  Moirin is a very different person than she was the last time she was in this country, and it was interesting to see her and Bao’s take on the society after their long time away.

2) What do you think of King Daniel's management of the realm while he's in mourning? The relationship he has with his daughter Desiree?

I don’t think this is a problem that’s likely to go away anytime soon, and he’s not really fulfilling his role as a monarch or a father.  He endured after his first wife’s death, but it looks like losing Jehanne too was just too much.  I feel like he needs to spend some time at Balm House until he can cope with daily life again.

3) Moirin has taken up the role as Desiree's protector. What do you think of tet political quagmire she's gotten herself into? Will her tumblers and poet be able to sway the general public in her favor?

Well, someone needed to do something.  I’m actually kind of shocked that none of the local nobles stepped in to help, after Daniel kind of opted out of taking care of her.  It doesn’t reflect well on the nobility that they were just willing to let the situation fester until Moirin came back to help.

For the tumblers and the poet, I think it will help.  I think the biggest thing that would help is her doing a good job, and not running off to another country. Over time, she’s bound to win over a lot of the nobles. I know patience is not really her thing, though.

4) Moirin's father has a lover, Rogier, who is also in the king's favor. How big of a problem for Moirin and Bao do you think he will be?

I did not expect him to be an enemy, so that kind of caught me off guard.  He’s a really bad person to have as an enemy, since he is essentially the King at this point.  I expect he’s going to be a major problem, if she doesn’t find out what he has against her.

Other Thoughts:

--Moirin is a trust fund girl, and I am curious to see how she would cope in Terre d’Ange if her money runs out.

--The head nursemaid seemed weirdly prudish for Terre d’Ange.  I thought Bao’s subtle joke was harmless and inoffensive, and I was surprised that she even remarked on it.

--On that note, I would have expected patience and compassion to be some of the traits most commonly found in nursemaids.  Desiree didn’t really seem much worse than an average toddler, so it makes me wonder what other d’Angeline toddlers are like (fashion forward and careful of propriety?).

--It was neat to see Bao’s interest in d’Angeline acrobatics.  I bet both sides will learn a few things!

  

2 comments:

  1. King Daniel hanging out at Balm House sounds way better than how he's coping right now.

    True, Moirin has not been very good at patience unless she's confined by chains or foul weather.

    Hmm... I obviously missed something as I thought Moirin's father's lover was Balthazar...

    Maybe the nursemaid was offended by Bao's reference to Naamah because it came from a foreigner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess she has been forced to be patient time and again, but it seems really not in her nature!

      Yeah, Balthazar was the Shahrizai guy who backed up Moirin when she told folks that she was going to be Desiree's protector.

      Maybe it's just my reading, but I felt like it had a flavor of "Oh my, not in front of the children!" Terre d'Ange has really changed if it's considered shameful to mention Naamah at all in polite conversation.

      Delete